Der schnelle Draht:

+49 5202 9271 340
+49 5202 9271 430

+49 176 70985834
+49 173 7461230



Here you can find all other information for the marriage in Denmark.

General Information

When we obtained your wedding license (Danish marriage certificate) for you, we can book a binding wedding date with the registry office of your choice. Since the wedding dates are limited, it is not always possible for you to get your preferred date. As a result of this, we ask you to enter 3 different whished dates when you fill out the order form.

Weddings on Danish public holidays and on Sundays are generally not possible.

The marriages can be in German, English and Danish.

If one of the two partners does not speak any of these languages, an interpreter must be there at the wedding. Unfortunately, it is not possible for one partner to translate the marriage ceremony to another, as this would offend against current laws.

A translation of the wedding ceremony into Russian, Ukrainian and Polish is included free of charge in a wedding on Ærø in all packages.

Danish international marriage certificates are automatically valid in Germany as well.

After over-certification by an apostille, the marriage must be recognized by every German office, as well as from other countries which are in the Hague convention.

However, they should not confuse a recognition of marriage with the conditions of the immigration office for obtaining a residence permit.
After the marriage with a Schengen visa, it is normal to do a family reunion and re-entry.

Of course, the marriage is valid even if the German immigration office demands that the foreign partner, who has married with a Schengen visa, leave Germany again and apply for a family reunification through the German embassy in his country, because unfortunately the legal conditions of Germany since the amendment of 28.08.07 say this.

Nevertheless you have won a lot of time with the ceremony in Denmark and saved effort and nerves. Your foreign partner returns after the wedding as a legal spouse, your right to a common family life is guaranteed by the basic Law.

Name change.
You cannot change your surname at the wedding in Denmark. You will receive two international marriage certificates with the same names as those on your identity cards/passports at the time of the marriage. You can apply for a change of name at the relevant registry office in Germany or at the relevant embassy or in your home country after the wedding ceremony in your place of residence.
Danish authorities cannot issue certificates of marriage, they refer to the Danish Name Law.
According to the Danish Name Law, a change of name in connection with a marriage in Denmark is not possible if the person is not permanently resident in Denmark. A change of name must be applied for after the marriage where you are permanently registered.


Entry Requirements

Foreigners from s.g. "Third countries" for legal travel to Denmark require a valid passport and a valid visa or residence permit for a Schengen country.
Holders of the titles "suspension of deportation" (toleration), "residence permit to carry out the asylum procedure" and a border crossing certificate may not enter Denmark. Thus, it is not possible to marry with these titles in Denmark.

Persons who, instead of a residence permit, have a fiction certificate pursuant to § 81 (4) AufenthG in connection with a previous residence permit that has already expired may legally enter Denmark and thus marry there as well.
Persons who come from so-called "third countries" must have a valid Schengen or national visa. A visa for a Schengen country or a national visa to a Schengen country is automatically valid for travel to all other Schengen countries.
If you have a residence permit for one of the Schengen member states, you can also easily enter Denmark.
EU citizens need either a valid identity card or passport to enter Denmark.
Since the 26th of June 2012, children also need a children's travel pass or identity card, otherwise they will be refused entry abroad. A birth certificate does not replace a children's travel pass.

Citizens with biometric passports from the following countries can also travel to Denmark without a visa:

All EU countries, all EEA countries, Albania, Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Bolivia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Brazil, Brunei Dar es Salaam, Chile, Costa Rica, El Salvador, French Guiana, French Polynesia, United Kingdom, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Honduras, Hong Kong, Ireland, Iceland, Israel, Japan, Canada, Croatia, Macau, Malaysia, Malta, Martinique, Mauritius, Macedonia, Mexico, Moldova, Montenegro, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Panama , Paraguay, Reunion Island, San Marino, Switzerland, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Pierre and Miquelon, South Korea, Taiwan, Ukraine, Uruguay, USA, Vatican, Venezuela and Cyprus:


Visa-free third-country nationals (Article 1 (2) in conjunction with Annex II of Reg. (EC) 539/2001) may, in accordance with Article 20 (1) and Article 5 (1) of the Regulation (EC) 562/2006 (Border Code) for up to 90 days within the last 180 days (reference period) in the Schengen area without the need for a visa. "

Member States of the Schengen Agreement:The Schengen area (United States Europe except United Kingdom - UK and Ireland) includes the following countries since December 2008: Andorra (does not issue a Schengen visa, only partially applied), Belgium, Bulgaria, Denmark (except the Faroe Islands and Greenland) , Germany, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lichtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, San Marino (does not issue a Schengen visa, only partial application), Sweden, Switzerland, Spain, Austria, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Cyprus (does not issue a Schengen visa, only partially applied)

Foreigners with permanent residence in one of the EU countries can enter Denmark without a separate visa and stay there for a maximum of 90 days within a half-year, starting from the first day of entry. Prerequisite is always a valid passport in connection with a residence permit. As residence permit count:
- Residence permit, also temporary
- residence permit for family members of a Member State of the EEC
- Residence permit as a card
- Permanent residence permit
- Fiktionsbescheinigung according to § 81 Abs. 4 AufenthG
- Leave Order for Military Persons USA / GB

These titles are valid instead of a visa only if they were issued in the passport or in connection with a passport as a leaf visa or issued as a card.

Holders of a residence permit from the United Kingdom and Ireland require a Schengen visa to enter Denmark.
The condition for entering Denmark is also that the traveler has sufficient means of subsistence both for the duration of the stay and for the return journey to the country of origin

If you have not found an answer to your questions here, please contact us or the nearest Danish representation.

We receive our information on the entry conditions of Denmark through constant contact with the Danish border police.


What is an apostille and what do you need it for?

An Apostille is an over-certification on a document confirming that the signature and the property with which the document was signed are genuine.

Why do you need an Apostille on your marriage certificate?

In most cases, the ministries will require an apostille on your marriage certificate for your marriage to be recognized.
If both spouses are Germans, the Office can (but does not have to) recognize marriage without apostille. However, if one of the two partners has a migration background or is not German, an apostille is absolutely necessary.

Apostille on divorce or death certificate

If you have a divorce or death certificate from a non-EU country that has acceded to the Hague Apostille Agreement (see below), you must have the divorce or death certificate apostilated.
You will receive an Apostille in the Ministry of Justice of the issuing country (in some countries the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is responsible for this). Please ask in the civil registry office, which issued the document, after, if necessary. but we can also help you.

Important: The apostille must be placed on the original document, not on the translation!

Official Information of the Danish Family Ministry on Legalization in German:

Official information of the Danish registry office for legalization in English:

Countries that have signed the Apostille Agreement:


Any changes are always available on the official website of the Hague Conference:
updated list of member states Home www.hcch.net.

Correct legalize

If you have a divorce or death certificate from a non-EU country, it must be overseen by either an apostille or consular legalization.
If the country of origin is not affiliated to the Hague Apostolic Agreement (https://www.hcch.net/en/states/hcch-members) and not Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Turkey, USA, Macedonia, Montenegro, Thailand, Hong Kong or Macao is, you need a legalization on your divorce or death certificate.

Very important for consular legalization:

  1. The certificate or judgment must be legalized in the original (on the original)! That is, all legalizing stamps must be affixed to the original.
    The legalizing stamps do not have to be certified by the notary or translator, but clearly the signature of the official (or the court) who issued the certificate.
  2. First, the Ministry of Justice (in some countries Ministry of the Interior) must confirm the signature of the official who issued the document with a stamp and signature.
  3. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirms the signature of the Ministry of Justice.
  4. The Danish embassy in the country of origin confirms the signature of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs official.
  5. First have the document and all the stamps translated by a sworn translator.

All documents and other paperwork who is written in foreign language (not in German, English or Danish) must be translated into one of this three languages. We recommend you to translate it into German, so you can use the translation in your further visits to the authorities in Germany.
Basically the translations must be done by a sworn translator or authorized in the Federal Republic of Germany or another EU country.

The sole exception to this are multilingual, international documents which are issued under the relevant agreement, which do not require translation.

Journey to Denmark

If you have not booked our comfortable premium package, you have to travel to your desired registry office.

To get to the island of Ærø, you have to cross the Baltic Sea partially with a car ferry. The journey takes between 60-75 minutes, depending on the ferry port.

The nearest ferry port from the German border is just 55 km from Ebner. Alternatively, you can also get from the ferry Svendborg to the island, which is about 195 km from the German border.

Traveling with your own car is cheaper than any other travel option.

A convenient alternative, however, is our premium package with transfer from Hamburg, which includes the transfer to Ærø and back and one night in a hotel *** for 2 persons and of course the wedding ceremony.

Here you can find more information!

Arriving by public transport to Ærø: The journey to the ferry port is unfortunately very complicated, a direct arrival by train or bus is unfortunately not possible. You can not only travel by plane as there is no airport near the ferry port.

The journey is possible to Flensburg in Germany or to Sønderborg or Svendborg in Denmark. From Flensburg to the ferry port you either have to take a taxi for 100 € one way, or take a bus to Sønderborg, then the next rarely traveling bus or taxi for a minimum of 50 €, easy way to the ferry terminal. Then there are the ferry costs for 2 pedestrians (low season 22 €, high season 60 €). But also on the island you have to come to the registry office and your accommodation, unfortunately we do not currently have a taxi on the island. If you take the midday ferry and bus 17 km / 35 min. Unfortunately, you do not want to arrive at the registry office in time to make an appointment, because the bus arrives at the city center after the registry office is closed. Accordingly, you must either take the ferry service in the morning, or arrive one day earlier and spend one more night on the island. It is more economical and convenient to use our premium package with transfer from Hamburg.

Attention: In the high season the ferry prices increase threefold. Overnight stays cost more in this time, which is normal for a popular holiday destination like Denmark.

Same-Sex Marriage

Since the 15.06.2012 same-sex marriages are possible on the same terms as for heterosexual couples.
Accordingly same-sex couples must have the same documents as heterosexual couples.

More information about same-sex marriage can be found here: